Peanut BrittleCourse: DessertDifficulty: Medium, Not tested
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 cup water
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups raw peanuts
3 tablespoons butter or oleo
1 teaspoon baking soda
- In a heavy 4 quart saucepan, mix sugar, corn syrup, water ans salt. Stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved and boiling starts.
- Cook, without stirring to 250* degrees on candy thermometer.
- Add peanuts and butter.
- Continue to cook over medium heat stirring continuously to 300* – 305* degrees (hard crack stage)
- Remove from heat. Add baking soda which should be free from lumps. Mix well and quickly, allowing mixture to form for a few seconds. (May add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla just before adding baking soda.)
- Pour on buttered marble slab or cookie sheet. When cold, break into pieces. Store in tightly covered container.